Spock allows the carryover of unused balances to a new period. You can do it by executing the carryover process at the start of the new year. For each leave type, you have to choose a carryover policy. Then you have to execute the carryover process. You can customize the carryover process for each member.
In this article
Carryover amount is visible in members' profiles and in Slack in "My Balances".
You must have a General Manager role to process carryover.
Carryover policy is a group of rules on how the carryover process transfers the unused balance to a new period.
Spock supports the following carryover policies:
A. No carryover
It means unused balances will not be transferred to a new period.
Example: My balance was 5 days at the end of the year. After transfer, carryover will be zero.
B. Remaining Count
It means that the whole unused balance will be transferred to a new period.
Example: My balance was 5 days at the end of the year. After transfer, carryover will be 5 days.
C. Limited Count
You need to specify the upper limit for how many days will be transferred.
Example: Limit count is set to 3 days. My balance was 5 days at the end of the year. After transfer, carryover will be 3 days.
When you choose policy B (Remaining Count) or policy C (Limited Count) you can specify carryover expiration in days. It means in how many days after the new period starts carryover will expire.
Example: I chose the Remaining Count policy and set carryover expiration to 31 days. My balance was 5 days at the end of the year. After transfer, carryover will be 5 days. Till January 31st my carryover will be 5 days, after this date is 0 days. All leaves till January 31st are primarily covered from this carryover. After this date, they are covered from the allowance.
How to Setup Carryover
You can set a carryover policy for each leave type with allowance enabled.
- Go to Settings > Leave Types
- Select Leave Type with Allowance enabled.
- Check "Allow carryover of current balances to next period".
- Set Carryover Policy
- If you chose Limited Count Policy, enter the carryover limit.
- If you want to set carryover expiration, check "Carryover expires" and then enter the number of days when carryover expires.
- Click Save.
Now you can set a carryover policy for another leave type in the same way.
How to Execute the Carryover Process
The carryover process can be executed from the start of the year till the end of March. It is necessary to set up carryover policies for leave type which balances you want to transfer beforehand.
Execute Carryover Process:
- Go to Settings > Carryover
- Check "Do Balances Carryover"
- Click "Proceed"
It may take a while when all balances are transferred.
You can check carryover in members' profiles. In the "Balances" part there is a column "Carryover".
How to Customize Carryover per Member
Spock offers the possibility to customize carryover for each member.
Customize Carryover for a specific member:
- Go to Members
- Search for member a click to see his profile.
- Click on tab "Allowances".
- Find the leave type you want to customize.
- You can see his current carryover policy inherited from the leave type (Default Policy).
- Click the button "Override".
- Dialog with form will appear.
- Check "Customize Carryover Policy".
- Set new carryover policy.
- Click "Save and Proceed Carryover".
- Carryover is recalculated according to the new policy.